Please join us for a drink at 6:30 pm on Thursday 18 July for the opening event. The 67 Minutes Silent Auction will commence promptly at 7 pm.
The annual Mandela Day is held worldwide to honour the legacy of Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s former President, and his values, through volunteering and community service.
Celebrated each year on 18 July – Mandela’s birthday, this day is a call to action that celebrates the idea that each individual has the power to transform the world, the ability to make an impact.
The idea is that because Mandela fought for social justice for 67 years, people volunteer 67 minutes of their time to fight poverty and promote peace, reconciliation and cultural diversity.
Our commitment at The Studio Art Gallery is to run an annual fundraising auction/exhibition. This year we will facilitate a 67-minute silent auction at the opening event.
This year’s beneficiary is Ithemba School situated on the edge of Fish Hoek, close to both Masiphumelele and Ocean View. Ithemba provides quality pre-primary education for under-resourced communities.
Themba School is registered with the Department of Social Development, and with the Western Cape Education Department as an ECD independent school offering Grade R. They are registered as a Non Profit Organisation : 146-451 NPO
Portfolio and guest artists who have exhibited at The Studio Art Gallery over the past year have been invited to participate in this year’s Mandela Day Block-Art Auction / Exhibition. Blocks measure 30cm by 30cm.
The Silent Auction
- The silent auction has the same goal as any traditional auction – to sell the artwork to the highest bidder.
- All artworks will be labelled with a bidding card showing the reserve price.
- Silent auction attendees need to register upon arrival at the gallery and will be given a unique bidder number.
- The silent auction will commence at 7:00 pm and will last for 67-minutes.
- During the 67-minutes, bidders may place a bid on artwork by writing in their bidder number and their bid amount on the attached bid card. Starting bids must be higher than the reserve price. The next bidder may make a higher bid amount on the bid card, and so on.
- All decisions by the auction chair are final.
- At 8:07 pm the silent auction will end and artworks allocated to the highest bidders.
- Bidders may take their artworks after payments have been processed.