WHO CAN ENTER
- The exhibition is open to all emerging or established artists who currently reside in South Africa and are 18 years of age or older.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING ARTWORKS
- Artist may submit artworks produced in any medium, i.e. paintings, drawings, digital, sculpture, photographs, etc.
- There is no specific theme for this exhibition.
- Drawings, prints on paper and photography must be submitted ready to hang, only paintings on stretched canvases don’t need to be framed, but the canvas edge should be neatly painted.
- Sculptures must be submitted with their appropriate plinths.
- Artworks submitted must have been created by the entrant i.e. his/her original artwork and remain his/her property for the duration of the exhibition, until it is collected by the artist, or sold during the exhibition.
- All artworks must be for sale.
- Multiple entries are allowed.
- There are no size restrictions, however, artists should keep in mind that the selection panel will select artwork according to the available space.
- Submissions must be accompanied by a biography no longer than 250 words.
- A completed submission form and a copy of the artist’s ID book or driver’s license must be handed in at submission – do not attach it to the artwork.
- The personal data supplied on the submission form will only be used in the process of administering and by submitting artwork for this exhibition, the artists hereby consents to the disclosure of his/her personal information.
RETAIL PRICE & ARTIST’S PRICE
- The Studio Art Gallery retains artwork on consignment once accepted onto the Winter Life Group Exhibition.
- The artist must provide the artist price, which is the amount the artist will be paid upon sale of the artwork. The Studio Art Gallery, as the appointed agent, will take their commission of 40% on all sales which will make up the retail price. For example: If the artist price is R 1 000 then retail price will be R 1 800. The submission forms must state the artist price.
- If a diptych or triptych is submitted, it will be sold as a unit and not separately.
- The Studio Art Gallery is not VAT registered.
SUBMISSION VENUE, DATE & FEE
- Artworks are to be submitted to St Peters Church, 107a Nelson Road, Fish Hoek, 7975 on Tuesday to Thursday the 24 – 26 July between 10:00 am to 15:00 pm. Click to find St Peters Church on Google Maps.
- There is an administration fee of R 100 for each artwork submitted. Payments can be made via EFT or cash.
EFT payments must be made to:
FNB: The Studio Art Gallery,
Account number: 627 5384 5307,
Branch Code: 260300,
Reference: Initials & Surname
Proof of Payment: firstname.lastname@example.org
PACKAGING & TRANSPORTATION
- The artworks must be packaged in appropriate packaging, i.e. bubble wrap, cardboard boxing or crating, and will be returned in the same packaging. The packaging must be clearly labelled with artist’s name and artwork title.
- The artist is responsible for all courier costs, delivery to and returning from the gallery at the end of the exhibition.
- The directors of The Studio Art Gallery together with invited ‘art experts’ will make up the selection committee. The selection committee will select from all submissions the artworks for the exhibition. Artworks that are not suitable, including those that do not comply with entry requirements, show inadequate craftsmanship, or are not ready for exhibition will not be included.
- Artworks will be chosen based on concept, presentation, use of material, artistic skill and available exhibition space, also, whether or not it will be a good fit for The Studio Art Gallery’s expanding market.
- From the artists, whose artworks have been selected for the Winter Life group exhibition, up to four will be chosen for representation by The Studio Art Gallery. The gallery directors will choose up to three of these and a fourth, a people’s choice, will be chosen by guests at the opening event.
- The artists who have been chosen for representation will be announced at the opening event on 1 August at 7:30pm.
- The Studio Art Gallery will inform artists on the outcome of the selection. Artists must, if possible, attend the opening event on 1 August.
- The artists whose works are selected and our new portfolio artists, will be posted on The Studio Art Gallery’s website and Facebook page.
- The Studio Art Gallery reserves the right to disqualify a work if the artist has not adhered to the above rules as stipulated, even if the work was selected for exhibition.
- The Studio Art Gallery reserves the right to accept or decline any artwork submitted to the Winter Life group exhibition.
- The Studio Art Gallery reserves the right to not accept artwork The Studio Art Gallery considers inappropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, artwork depicting sexual acts, pornographic content, racist, offensive to religious beliefs, supports extreme political views or denigrates older or disabled people.
- Artworks that are not selected must be collected by the artist on Thursday to Saturday 2 – 4 August from St Peters Church 10:00 to 18:00 or from The Studio Art Gallery on Monday to Saturday, 6 to 11 August between 10:00 to 16:00 daily. Any artworks not collected by 11 August will be disposed of and the entrant hereby indemnifies The Studio Art Gallery from any loss or damage suffered by such disposal.
- Selected artworks must be available for exhibition until 30 September 2018.
- The responsibility for damage of loss, however caused, lies with the artist. Artists are therefore advised to arrange adequate insurance cover against all risks.
- The Studio Art Gallery as the organizer of the Winter Life group exhibition, shall not be liable for any loss of damage, whether or not caused by their negligence.
- Once the exhibition has ended artists will be required to show their ID documents or driver’s license when collecting their artwork.
- The copyright of all artworks exhibited remains the property of the artists. By submitting artwork the artists agrees, on an irrevocable basis, that The Studio Art Gallery may reproduce any exhibited work, free of charge, for the purpose of marketing and promotion.
- The Studio Art Gallery’s appointment shall automatically terminate when the work has been collected by the artist, or sold.