This document contains all the information that you need to know regarding the submission, exhibition and sale of your work in the Winter Life Group Exhibition 2020. Please read through it carefully before submitting your artworks.
Who Can Submit?
- The exhibition is open to all emerging and established artists who currently reside in South Africa and are 18 years of age or older.
- Previous winners of the Winter Life Group Exhibition may submit new artwork.
- Artists may submit artworks produced in any medium, including paintings, drawings, digital art, sculpture, photographs, etc., produced at any time in the artist’s career.
- There are no limitations on style or theme for this exhibition.
- Drawings, prints on paper and photography must be submitted framed behind glass and ready to hang, only paintings on stretched canvases don’t need to be framed, but the canvas edge should be neatly painted.
- Sculptures must be submitted with their appropriate plinths.
- Artworks submitted must have been created by the entrant i.e. his/her original artwork and remain his/her property for the duration of the exhibition, until it is collected by the artist, or sold during the exhibition.
- Multiple entries are allowed.
- If a diptych or triptych is submitted, it will be sold as a unit and not separately.
- There are no size restrictions, however, artists should keep in mind that the selection committee will select artwork according to the available gallery exhibition space.
- Artworks that HAVE been previously exhibited at The Studio Art Gallery will NOT be considered, however, artworks that have been exhibited at other galleries may be submitted
. Eachartwork requires its own submission form.
- Each artwork must be
labelledwith artist’s name and title of artwork at the back with a black marker.
- Submissions must be accompanied by the artist’s biography no longer than 250 words.
- A completed submission form and a copy of the artist’s ID book or driver’s license must be handed in at submission – do not attach it to the artwork.
- Only one copy of the biography and ID book is required per artist.
- The personal data supplied on the submission form will only be used in the process of administering and by submitting artworks for this exhibition, the artists hereby consents to the disclosure of his/her personal information.
Retail Price & Artist’s Price
- The Studio Art Gallery retains artwork on consignment once accepted onto the Winter Life Group Exhibition 2020.
- The artist must provide the artist’s price, which is the amount the artist will be paid upon sale of the artwork. i.e 50% of the retail price.
- The artist’s price must be consistent with past sales and current pricing in other galleries, artist’s website, etc. i.e. All submissions must be for sale at a market-related price.
- The Studio Art Gallery, as the appointed agent, will take a commission of 50% of the retail price.
- The Studio Art Gallery is not VAT registered and therefore VAT is not added.
- The Studio Art Gallery’s appointment will automatically terminate when the work has been returned or sold.
Submission Venue, Date & Fee
- Digital submissions that have been approved must be couriered to St Peters Church, 111 Nelson Road, Fish Hoek, 7975 for the final selection. Click to find St Peters Church on Google Maps.
- Submissions that are submitted by hand are to be submitted to St Peters Church, 111 Nelson Road, Fish Hoek, 7975 for the final selection. Click to find St Peters Church on Google Maps.
- Submission dates – 5 or 6 August between 09:00 am to 17:00 pm daily.
- There is an administration fee of R 120 for each artwork submitted. Payments can be made via EFT or cash. Click for Banking Details
- The Studio Art Gallery will accept digital submissions up until 5 pm on Monday 15 July.
- High-resolution jpeg images not more than 3MB must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sculpture should be photographed from at least 4 different angles to capture the artwork’s main features.
- If your artwork is pre-approved for the Winter Life Group Exhibition, you will need to deliver your artwork to St Peters Church on Monday 5 or Tuesday 6 August between 10:00 am to 16:00 pm daily for the final selection.
EFT Payments Must Be Made To:
FNB: The Studio Art Gallery,
Account number: 627 5384 5307,
Branch Code: 260300,
Reference: Initials & Surname
Please send Proof of Payment to email@example.com
Packaging & Transportation
- All artworks whether
hand deliveredor couriered must be packaged in appropriate packaging, i.e. bubble wrap, cardboard boxing or crating and will be repackaged if not selected for exhibition or sold in the same packaging. The packaging must be clearly labelledwith artist’s name and artwork title.
- Please use handy-wrap instead of packaging tape on bubble wrap.
- The artist is responsible for all delivery costs to the submission venue and returning from the gallery at the end of the exhibition.
- The directors of The Studio Art Gallery together with at least 3 invited ‘art experts’, will make up the selection committee. The selection committee will select from all submissions the artworks for the exhibition. Artworks that are not suitable, including those that do not comply with entry requirements and show inadequate craftsmanship, will not be included.
- The selection committee’s decision is final and will not engage in any correspondence regarding their selection. The selection committee members will only be made known at the opening event.
- Artworks will be chosen based on the concept, presentation, use of material, artistic skill and available exhibition space, also, whether or not it will be suited for The Studio Art Gallery’s expanding market.
- From the artists, whose artworks have been selected for the Winter Life Group Exhibition, up to four will be chosen for representation by The Studio Art Gallery. The gallery directors will choose up to three of these and a fourth, a people’s choice, will be chosen by guests who attend the opening event.
- The artists who have been chosen for representation will be announced at the opening event on 9 August at 5:15 pm.
- The Studio Art Gallery will inform artists on the outcome of the final selection on Thursday 8 August. Artists must, if possible, attend the opening event on 9 August.
- The artists whose works are selected and our new portfolio artists will be posted on The Studio Art Gallery’s website and Facebook page.
- The Studio Art Gallery reserves the right to disqualify an artwork if the artist has not adhered to the above rules as stipulated, even if the artwork was selected for the exhibition.
- The Studio Art Gallery reserves the right to accept or decline any artwork submitted to the Winter Life Group Exhibition.
- The Studio Art Gallery reserves the right to not accept artwork The Studio Art Gallery considers inappropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, artwork depicting sexual acts, pornographic content, racist, offensive to religious beliefs, supports extreme political views or denigrates older or disabled people.
- Artworks that are not selected may be collected by the artist on Friday 9 August from St Peters Church, 10 am to 2 pm or from The Studio Art Gallery on 12 to 23 August between 10 am to 5 pm daily. Any artworks not collected by 23 August will be disposed of and the artist hereby indemnifies The Studio Art Gallery from any loss or damage suffered by such disposal.
- Artists will be required to show their ID documents or driver’s license when collecting their artwork.
- Selected artworks must be available for exhibition until 30 September 2020.
- The responsibility for damage or loss, however caused, lies with the artist. Artists are therefore advised to arrange adequate insurance cover against all risks.
- The Studio Art Gallery as the organizer of the Winter Life Group Exhibition, shall not be liable for any loss or damage, whether or not caused by their negligence.
- The copyright of all artworks exhibited remains the property of the artists. By submitting artwork the artists agrees, on an irrevocable basis, that The Studio Art Gallery may reproduce any exhibited work, free of charge, for the purpose of marketing and promotion.